Can't import valid GPG keys in Ubuntu

BlueGnu haveyouworked at aol.com
Fri Dec 4 17:08:24 CET 2009

I have a multi-boot system, Windows and Ubuntu 9.10.  I installed Gpg4win on
Windows, and on Ubuntu I installed GNU Privacy Assistant and Kleopatra to
make the encryption process similar on each OS.  All the keys imported
correctly in each OS when I first set up this system, but recently all my
keys disappeared from the Ubuntu installation.  I know the original keys are
still good because I can still import them to Windows, but I get different
results when importing on Ubuntu.

Errors:
Importing any key from GNU Privacy Assistant give the error, "No keys were
found."  Importing from Kleopatra gives me
"Total number processed: 0 Imported: 0."  Using the Passwords and Encryption
Keys applet that came with Ubuntu nothing happens at all.
When I try to create a key in GNU Privacy Assistant it says, "The GPGME
library returned an unexpected error.  The error was: General error  This is
probably a bug in GPA.  GPA will now try to recover from this error.
>From Kleopatra I tell it to create a personal OpenPGP key pair and it gives
me the error: Could not create certificate: General error."
>From Passwords and Encryption Keys, I try to create a PGP key and it gives,
"Couldn't generate PGP key.  General error."

All my keys are like this:

What can I do to resume using GnuPG on Ubuntu?