Series of minor questions about OpenPGP 5

Peter Thomas p4.thomas at googlemail.com
Thu Jan 29 17:48:34 CET 2009

On Wed, Jan 28, 2009 at 9:31 PM, David Shaw <dshaw at jabberwocky.com> wrote:
> On some platforms, a hardware RNG actually ends up feeding /dev/random.
>  This is particularly nice as it means GPG (or any program that uses
> /dev/random) benefits without code modification.
But this has a disadvantage if that hardware RNG is of bad quality.
Werner said that that VIA thing is used as _additional_ source, isn't
it?
So I assume even if it would produce bad data, gnupg would merge it
with the normal /dev/random and still produce random data which is not
worse than without having that VIA thing, or am I missing something?

btw: This VIA thing is an onboard chip, right? It would be nice to
have something available that I can buy on connect e.g. via USB and
get support for gnupg :-)

Cheerio,
Peter