published key security levels

Thu May 13 01:03:50 CEST 2010

Am Mittwoch 12 Mai 2010 20:29:18 schrieb Joel C. Salomon:

> I generate two keys, one low-security (e.g., “Joel Salomon webmail”) and
> one high-security (“Joel Salomon smartcard”).  I sign the low-security
> key with my high security key, but I don’t ask others to sign it; the
> only key I put into the web of trust is my high-security key.
>
> If the low-security key is compromised, can the attacker rename it (or
> otherwise fool people into thinking it’s my high-security key) without
> removing my (high-security) signature on the key?

The main problem is: How do people recognise your high security key as such?
By the comment only?

The next problem: (AFAIK) You cannot prevent people from signing your keys.

Furthermore this feels a bit strange to me. The basic rule is: The more
signatures, the better. And now a feature shall be based on avoiding
signatures? :-S

CU

Hauke
--
PGP: D44C 6A5B 71B0 427C CED3 025C BD7D 6D27 ECCB 5814