Generating smart-card stubs on a clean computer?

Grant Olson kgo at grant-olson.net
Wed Sep 1 03:34:37 CEST 2010

I can find docs on generating a key on a smart card, and migrating an
existing key to the smart card.  But I can't figure out how to configure
the smart card on a clean machine that never had my secret keys.

The card has both signing and encryption keys on it.  The drivers are
installed.  I'm running gpg2 (via gpg4win) on a Windows XP box.

--card-status and --card-edit work.  But if I try to sign something, I'm
told I don't have any secret keys.  How do I get stubs to show up in the
local gpg configuration?

Does anyone know how I can do this?

Thanks.

--
Grant

"Can you construct some sort of rudimentary lathe?"