Generating smart-card stubs on a clean computer?

John Clizbe John at Mozilla-Enigmail.org
Wed Sep 1 07:31:53 CEST 2010

Grant Olson wrote:
> On 9/1/10 12:39 AM, David Shaw wrote:
>>
>> Do you have the public key corresponding to the card key on that box? You
>> need the public key plus a run of --card-status to generate the stubs.
>
> That did the trick.  As did John's suggestion to run fetch from 'gpg
> --card-edit'  I'm assuming 'fetch' just runs an import for the keys
> stored on the card.

Nope. fetch grabs the public key alá 'gpg --fetch'. From --card-edit's help:

> gpg/card> ?
> quit       quit this menu
> admin      show admin commands
> help       show this help
> list       list all available data
> fetch      fetch the key specified in the card URL
> passwd     menu to change or unblock the PIN
> verify     verify the PIN and list all data
> unblock    unblock the PIN using a Reset Code

Then --card-status creates the needed key stubs

--
John P. Clizbe                      Inet:John (a) Mozilla-Enigmail.org
FSF Assoc #995 / FSFE Fellow #1797  hkp://keyserver.gingerbear.net  or