scdaemon loses connection when I unplug/replug a crypto-stick

Grant Olson kgo at
Wed Sep 8 01:21:56 CEST 2010

I'm on OSX Snow Leopord, the latest version of MacGPG2.

When I remove my cryptostick and plug it back in, scdaemon doesn't see
it anymore.  This causes gpg-agent to complain that it can't find a
smart-card.  If I manually lookup the PID for scdaemon and give it a
"kill -9" things work again.

I imagine that the cryptostick is a little unique in this regard.  Most
people would have a reader that's more permanently attached, but with
the crypto-stick, the reader is integrated with the card.

Anyone know of an easy way for me to fix this?

"I am gravely disappointed. Again you have made me unleash my dogs of war."