moving user ID Comments to --expert mode

Doug Barton dougb at dougbarton.us
Fri Feb 4 02:36:57 CET 2011

On 02/03/2011 17:23, Robert J. Hansen wrote:
> On 2/3/11 8:17 PM, Doug Barton wrote:
>> So, you're saying that hams are not smart enough to figure out how to
>> use expert mode if they really want this functionality? :)
>
> You're moving the goalposts.  That was responding to someone who denied
> the usefulness of comments at all.  If I'm establishing there are
> communities who use comments, and these communities often exist under
> the radar of list members,

I don't disagree with anything above, but

> then it's disingenuous to say "but they can just use expert mode."

Why? Restating my argument in a more serious fashion:

1. There are very few people who usefully benefit from comments
2. Most novice users who add a comment do so badly
3. Therefore moving the option to expert mode is a win for the community.

> Whether it should be in normal mode or expert mode is a completely
> different question from whether there exist a significant number of
> users who find the comment field useful.

I actually disagree with this as stated, although I will grant you that
point 2 above is included in the overall issue. :)

> As long as we're moving things into expert mode, I'd like to see all
> non-default options moved into expert mode, including key lengths.  I've
> never seen anyone outside of the intelligence community who had a need
> for a 4096-bit key: why do we support generating them?  I've seen people
> screw up expiration dates more often than I've seen them use expiration
> dates as part of a sane, rational security policy: why is this option
> part of the default, why isn't setting an expiration date reserved for
> expert users?  Etc., etc.

That all sounds good to me.

Doug (seriously)

			-- OK Go