Storing secrets on other people's computers

Robert J. Hansen rjh at sixdemonbag.org
Thu May 5 16:11:05 CEST 2011

> The internet seems like a wider (and cheaper) distribution method than
> the NYT.  So what are you waiting for?  I hereby volunteer to cover your
> costs for posting your secret key to this mailing list :P

The instant a test costs someone money, they have a financial interest in
making sure the test is accurate.  This increases the credibility (to them)
of the results.  Or, put another way, if I do it for free few people but me
will be convinced.

If I for a second thought that by posting my (well-secured!) private
certificate to the Net I could convince people of the effectiveness of a
good passphrase, I'd do so.  But I'm just skeptical of people's willingness
to accept evidence they get for free.