Storing secrets on other people's computers

Robert J. Hansen rjh at sixdemonbag.org
Fri May 6 00:46:29 CEST 2011

> For the latter, I don't get it -- it's not like keeping the key secret takes a lot of effort -- but it does decrease your security ever so slightly. Besides proving a point, why would you publish?

Because the _New York Times_ keeps records of all the papers it's ever published.  It can be seen as a highly effective, if low-tech, long-term archival solution.  Paperkey the private certificate, publish it in the NYT, verify the accuracy of the published certificate, and presto: your key is archived for the next 100+ years.

Honestly, half the reason why I volunteer to publish my certificate in the NYT is for precisely this reason.  I think it'd be kind of cool to (a) have the NYT be my data archive, and (b) get someone else to pay for it.  :)

(Assuming, of course, the NYT survives its current financial problems.  Which may be a very big if.)