[gpgtools-users] [gpgtools-devel] Joint OpenPGP (JS) implementation

Werner Koch wk at gnupg.org
Sat Nov 26 20:10:36 CET 2011

On Sat, 26 Nov 2011 18:25, nicholas.cole at gmail.com said:

> The GPG project itself must have hit many of these issues.  Is there a

No, we don't.  GnuPG has originally been developed in Germany because we
have been able to do that without being affected by the US _export_
restrictions.  We had to reject any contributions from US citizens or
from people living the the US.  That changed by end of 2000 when the
export restrictions were basically dropped for all kind of freely
available software.  In the US you only need to send an announcement
mail to some address of the US Department of Commerce to contribute to a
crypto project.  I don't have the details at hand, because I am not
affected ;-)

We still keep the GnuPG infrastructure (e.g. the primary FTP server) in
Europe to be prepared for the case that the US start to restrict crypto
again.

Salam-Shalom,

   Werner