Draft of nine new FAQ questions

Robert J. Hansen rjh at sixdemonbag.org
Fri May 25 02:27:38 CEST 2012

On 5/24/12 7:56 PM, reynt0 wrote:
> I was just guessing what they might be.  They showed as
> "garbage" character groups in some browser rendering.

They may render as 'no such glyph', depending on which font you use.
I'd suggest using a better font.  :)

Also, if your browser is set to render everything as ASCII regardless of
what character set the webpage says it's using, then you'll also run
into problems.  The solution here is to trust the webpage character set.

> The idea is just to maximize usability to maximum audience,

If you wish for that, I invite you to write your own.

"Maximum audience" is not the same as "maximum usability."  The two are
different properties.  When it comes to the written word, ease of
reading, speed of reading, and comprehension is all improved by using
reasonable typography.  I consider those to be essential usability goals.

If I wanted "maximum audience," I'd try to turn the FAQ into _American
Idol_.