Card fails to decrypt using 4096-bit key

Yves-Alexis Perez corsac at corsac.net
Wed Oct 31 16:17:20 CET 2012

[sorry, I'm replying from an old mail and as I'm not subscribed I can't
reply with the full text and correct headers]

> However, whenever I try to decrypt a document encrypted to the
> 4096 bit encryption key on the card, the decryption process fails to
> even begin, with an error like the following:
>
> 	Version: GnuPG v2.0.19 (Darwin)
> 	gpg: armor header:
> 	gpg: public key is 0xA9D4A64F1FADF7D2
> 	gpg: using subkey 0xA9D4A64F1FADF7D2 instead of primary key
> 	0x24620B795999A6DB
> 	gpg: using subkey 0xA9D4A64F1FADF7D2 instead of primary key
> 	0x24620B795999A6DB
> 	gpg: encrypted with 4096 bit RSA key, ID 0xA9D4A64F1FADF7D2, created
> 	2012-05-16
> 	      "Kevin Kammer <kevin [at] hansaeditions.net>"
> 	gpg: public key decryption failed: General error
> 	gpg: decryption failed: No secret key

Yes, I can confirm this. I have a recently bought OpenPGPv2 smartcard.
Signing using a 4096R key works just fine, but decryption using an 4096R
encryption key doesn't, with the same error. This is using GnuPG v2.0.19
on Debian sid, with pcscd 1.8.6 (in case that matters).

I don't know if the issue is in GnuPG (wether gpg, gpg-agent or
scdaemon) or in the smartcard, but I can do some debugging if needed.

Please CC: me on replies, I'm not subscribed to the list.
--
Yves-Alexis