Smartcard & reader with pin-pad: working combo?

Hendrik Jäger gnupg-users at henk.geekmail.org
Fri Feb 8 11:23:52 CET 2013

Hello Niels

On Fri, 08 Feb 2013 10:10:56 +0100
Niels Laukens <niels at dest-unreach.be> wrote:

> Which brings me to my main question: I'm thinking of buying this
> smartcard: OpenPGP SmartCard V2
> https://shop.kernelconcepts.de/product_info.php?cPath=1_26&products_id=42
> together with this reader: SCM SPR-332
> https://shop.kernelconcepts.de/product_info.php?cPath=1_26&products_id=61
> And would like to get this to work on my MacBook Pro with 10.6.8 (snow
> leopard). I'm not afraid to compile from applications from source, but
> would prefer not to mess with kernel modules.
>
> How likely is it that this is going to work? The card seems to be
> supported by GnuPG, even for 4096RSA keys (which I plan to use).

On the card’s page it says:
Schlüssellänge jetzt bis zu 3072 Bits
What makes you think it works with 4096-bit keys?

> But I'm not sure about the card reader.
>
> So to guard this topic: I'm also interested in the
> security-considerations of my intentions, but my main question is:
> what are the experiences with the mentioned card & cardreader?

I bought this reader as well after I could not get the pinpad of
"Gemalto PC Pinpad USB
Reader" (http://shop.kernelconcepts.de/product_info.php?cPath=1_26&products_id=122)
to work with GnuPG.
It works just fine and (almost) out of the box, at least on Debian
Linux.

Best regards

Hendrik