Do we need / want (or already have) a mascot for OpenPGP?

Sun Jul 7 19:26:35 CEST 2013

Hello,

for the first time in history(?) cryptography has become a subject for
mainstream media. Over the last weeks my web page got a visitors increate of
600+% for the key word "openpgp".

That's nice but crypto still has a "rather low" fun factor. I don't claim that
the fun factor is the decisive part of a possible "success" of mainstream
crypto but it may make the work of some promoting people easier. And maybe we
can get this without much work.

Linux has its cuddly penguin, BSD its devil, openSUSE the chameleon... Whether
the GNU gnu increases the fun factor is a difficult question... ;-)

I guess it would be good to have something like that for OpenPGP. Something
that people both like and recognize. Something that both instructors (OpenPGP
courses) and private people, companies and other organizations which use it
can put on their web pages in order to create awareness.

I would prefer something with a strong appearance, a smiling rhino or gorilla
maybe. :-)

I am a total artistic black-out so I can hardly do more about that than say "I
would like to have it". But if it turns out that there is a broad agreement
(above all among those who publicly promote crypto) that it would be nice to
have something like that then we might search for talented volunteers in the
community.

Hauke
--
Crypto für alle: http://www.openpgp-schulungen.de/fuer/bekannte/