Keyring on external encrypted drive

Werner Koch wk at gnupg.org
Wed May 22 17:34:58 CEST 2013

On Wed, 22 May 2013 14:01, zece at riseup.net said:

> Are they pregenerated? Or it's up to me to create and erase them?

You have to create them or load them onto the card.  There are several
HOWTOs.

> Only 2048bits lenght.

The current versions as distributed by kernelconcepts actually support
switching to at least 1024, 2048, 3072 and 4096 bit.  For 4096 bit you
should use the latest GnuPG version, though.

> It's sad even this kind of hardware shares the fate of video cards or
> wifi sticks. This shouldn't be luck but open drivers and firmware. After

Actually not, all the SCM reader I have seen work pretty well using our
own free software drivers.  The technical support has always been
responsive and helpful.

Shalom-Salam,

   Werner