installing gnupg-2.0.26

Philip Jackson philip.jackson at nordnet.fr
Sun Aug 24 16:48:18 CEST 2014

Hi,

I'm looking for some help here please.  I'm trying to install 2.0.26 using the
./configure, make, make install  procedure.  This is something completely
unknown to me and this is a first time attempt at this sort of thing in linux.

I downloaded the tar.bz2 file and checked its signature ok.  I extracted it into
/usr/local/src and then read the readme and install files.

I noted the dependencies and the order to install them.  So I downloaded the
libgpg-error-1.9.tar.bz2 file and set about extracting, configure, make, make
install.  All seemed to go ok and it was rapid.

Then I started on libgcrypt -  - I downloaded libgcrypt-1.6.2.tar.bz2 file from
gnupg.

When I ran ./configure on  /usr/local/src/libgcrypt-1.6.2, the last few lines in
the terminal are :

last few lines ...

....whether NEON support is requested... yes
checking whether a -O flag munging is requested... yes
checking whether to enable AMD64 as(1) feature detection... yes
checking for gpg-error-config... /usr/local/bin/gpg-error-config
checking for GPG Error - version >= 1.11... no
configure: error: libgpg-error is needed.
                See ftp://ftp.gnupg.org/gcrypt/libgpg-error/ .

Looks to me as though it thinks gpg-error cannot be found. Is this correct ?

But I can see that the install I did of libgpg-error had created the following
two files in /usr/local/bin :

gpg-error-config  and gpg-error (executable)

How come they don't seem to be found when running ./configure on libgcrypt?
What did I miss out ?

All advice welcome - thanks.

Philip