On the advisability of stronger digests than SHA-1 in OpenPGP certifications

Werner Koch wk at gnupg.org
Fri Jun 27 21:05:19 CEST 2014

On Fri, 27 Jun 2014 16:57, kristian.fiskerstrand at sumptuouscapital.com
said:
> that matter Financial world) about it. They want SLAs and support, and
> who knows what custom addons they have for their Outlook setup for
> various functions that makes it impractical to switch to Thunderbird

With Gpg4win we have been in contact with several companies who would
love to use gpg4win iff we could provide a decent Outlook plugin.  The
old one does not work with 2010 anymore and the current one is quite
limited.  Unfortunately our price tag for the _development_ of a new
outlook plugin is too high to be paid out of the general IT service
budget and thus there has been no progress here.

Despite that I am not keen to do work on GpgOL again [1], it has has
been a major source of revenues.  There is quite some interest in using
E2E encryption but the upfront development costs are the major problem -
not the costs for the SLA.  Given all the uncertainties in
Outlook/Exchange development we can't risk to do the development and
then re-finance that with support contracts.

Shalom-Salam,

   Werner

[1] Those two years literally grayed out my hair.