fulldisc encryption

Mark Rousell markr at signal100.com
Sat May 31 02:21:49 CEST 2014

On 30/05/2014 11:48, system at ioioioio.eu wrote:
> dear mailinglist,
>
> as truecrypt gave up developing the software any further, the question
> raised up, how to encrypt the full disc with gnupg. i looked into the
> web and found something like
>
> but iam not pretty sure, if its the best way / best practise to do so.
> any suggestions ?

Just carry on using TrueCrypt 7.1a for now (subject to anything found in
the ongoing audit project).

The strange turn of events surrounding the TrueCrypt website do *not*
seem to me to be a good reason to cease using TrueCrypt. I do not take
seriously the claims that TrueCrypt is insecure; they seem to me to be
invalidated by the odd, non-sensical comments on the new website and
overall bizarre nature of the whole episode.

Happily it seems likely that there will now (at last) be actively
developed forks of TrueCrypt so there is a future for TC users on
Windows and other platforms.

Note that there is also DiskCryptor for open source full disk encryption
on Windows. See http://diskcryptor.com. I've not tested it but it does
seem to work, although it suffers from the same drawbacks that TC does
(e.g. lack of GPT support).

--
Mark Rousell

PGP public key: http://www.signal100.com/markr/pgp