Gnupg Decryption Question

Steve Butler sbutler at fchn.com
Fri Jul 24 16:02:29 CEST 2015

-----Original Message-----
From: Werner Koch [mailto:wk at gnupg.org]
Sent: Friday, July 24, 2015 4:24 AM

On Thu, 23 Jul 2015 19:11, sbutler at fchn.com said:
> This is a snippet of the script I use to decrypt any file coming to me that has my private key (or my companies private key)
>
>   $DFLT gpg_pass2 \
>   | gpg --homedir $homedir --quiet --passphrase-fd 0 --no-tty --skip-verify \
>         --no-permission-warning --no-mdc-warning --batch  \
>         --output "$oname" --decrypt "$x" > /dev/null 2>&1

If you receive arbitrary data you may want to add

  --max-output SUITABLELARGENUMBEROFBYTES

to avoid a DoS using special crafted compression data.

Shalom-Salam,

   Werner

I'll look into that.  We do IP filtering on the firewall so we do know who is getting to our SFTP box (on Aug 3 we will shut down port 21 and standard FTP).  All who send data to us must sign a business agreement (HIPAA rules).  One such does send us encrypted files that approach 25 GB in size -- yikes!!  Thankfully that is once a month.

confidential
message.