upgrading v1 to v2

Pete Stephenson pete at heypete.com
Thu Mar 26 10:29:09 CET 2015

On Mar 26, 2015 4:47 AM, "Dave Kimble" <dave.kimble at riseup.net> wrote:

> Ubuntu 14.04 with gnupg 1.4.16 installed from Ubuntu repository.
> Enigmail says it is about time I upgraded to gnupg v2.
> Ubuntu Software Centre says I have the latest version.
>
> I have git cloned gnupg ?v2.0.26? and attempted to configure.

Any particular reason you want GnuPG 2.0.x instead of 2.1? There's very
little difference for most users between 1.x and 2.0.x.

2.1.x adds ECC support, which is nice, but there aren't any packages yet
for it in Ubuntu.

Since you're on Ubuntu you could just run "sudo apt-get install gnupg2" and
GnuPG 2.0.x would be installed alongside 1.x. Although it wouldn't show the
latest version number it'd still have all the security updates backported.

> Obviously I am doing something wrong, so its my fault, but this is
> ABSOLUTELY HOPELESS if you want people to adopt gnupg.  I work with
> clients who don't know what an email client is, let alone what theirs is
> called, on a wide variety of OSs.  They cannot possibly do this all
> this.  Is it too much to ask that you produce an Ubuntu-friendly
> repository that takes care of all the dependencies and compiling?

Compiling from source is not for the faint of heart. Fortunately, the
gnupg2 package exists on Ubuntu and makes the installation easy.

Cheers!
-Pete