Help needed

Peter Lebbing peter at digitalbrains.com
Sun Apr 24 19:59:51 CEST 2016

On 24/04/16 19:16, Dashamir Hoxha wrote:
> I think that 2048 is still OK.

Yes; it is also the current default, so no need to upgrade the key.

> But if you decide to upgrade, you can find some good advice here:
> https://johnlane.ie/i-have-a-new-gnupg-key.html

I consider "stick to the defaults" better advice. That website makes it
all rather complicated.

As for the OP's other questions, I can't answer them very well because I
don't know MacOS, but I can give you advice: could you please indicate
what software you are using? What mail client, what other GnuPG-related
software? You say you compose a mail, and you select Services from
somewhere. This seems /really/ little to go on if we don't know in what
program you compose a mail and where this Services comes from (it might
be that same mail application, I don't know).

FWIW, no, with a good e-mail plugin you don't have to copy-paste
anything to different windows. That's not a nice interface at all.

And when you are asked for your password, that is not because you are
/encrypting/, you never need a password to encrypt. It's asking for your
password because you are /signing/, I think. And the time to cache a
passphrase is set with the option default-cache-ttl in the file
gpg-agent.conf in your GnuPG home directory (I don't know where that is
on MacOS, it could just be ~/.gnupg), as follows:

default-cache-ttl 3600

The argument is in seconds. The default is 10 minutes, so if you are
asked for your passphrase within 10 minutes, I expect something didn't
install properly...

I hope someone who actually uses MacOS can help you further with
specific advice.

HTH,

Peter.