--list-keys fails with missing .gnupg directory and --no-options

Jeff Bailey jbailey at raspberryginger.com
Thu Dec 21 04:31:11 CET 2023

Hi!  I'm trying to make a script resilient against a bad gnupg.conf file,
so I tried passing --no-options to it.  However, it then caused the command
to fail on machines where gnupg had never been run, so ~/.gnupg didn't
exist yet with the following error:

gpg: Fatal: /home/jbailey/.gnupg: directory does not exist!

I'm wondering if the documentation for --no-options should perhaps be
updated to indicate that commands like --list-keys may fail if there's no
homedir, or perhaps should --no-options skip doing anything with
trustdb.gpg.

Or perhaps I'm wrong on how I'm thinking about this.

Thank you!