mutt smime support

Werner Koch wk@gnupg.org
Wed Oct 10 19:45:01 2001

On Wed, 10 Oct 2001 17:50:12 +0200, Thomas Roessler said:

> There is no problem with calling other, OpenSSL-based command line
Correct, but you can't link to it.> utilities from GPLed software. Just produce a well-defined,
> BTW, I seem to recall that there's another SSL implementation from
> Netscape/the Mozilla project which may also have the things you are
> looking for.
I have looked at NSS but it is a huge amount of code and it somehow reminds me on Mozilla. Although that the code is very well documented and available under the GPL, it has the major drawback to rely on the Mozilla "portable" runtime.
> I'd seriously prefer to stick with a command line interface to the
> cryp to back-end - it's most easily integrated in all kinds of scripts
There are a couple of drawbacks with the current Mutt implementation, for example it is not possible to use different secret keys because Mutt must know the passphrase in advance. The specs for Aegypten have requirements which are not easy to fulfill with the command line based interface. It will be far easier to encapsulate the code in a library and let the library handle the invocation of the backend. Switching beween OpenPGP and S/MIME is then just a matter of setting a flag so that GPGME uses gpgsm instead of gpg. And for those who prefer proprietary crypto backends, it is alsways possible to write a warpper program to emulate the commandline behaviour of gpg - mutt already does this for key listings.
> On 2001-10-10 17:19:05 +0200, Stefan Marsiske wrote:

> MIME handling, on the other hand, is most likely being done vastly
> different in different mail user agents, so sharing code to do that
> would be quite difficult.
Agreed. Werner -- Werner Koch Omnis enim res, quae dando non deficit, dum habetur g10 Code GmbH et non datur, nondum habetur, quomodo habenda est. Privacy Solutions -- Augustinus