Ägypten web-site update

Matthias Kalle Dalheimer kalle@klaralvdalens-datakonsult.se
Sat Oct 13 17:50:01 2001

On Friday 12 October 2001 19:33, Michael Häckel wrote:

> Hi,
>
> I think in general this structure looks well, from the point of view of
> KMail, besides this LDAP issue.
>
> I don't know, which KDE developer shall have spread the rumour, that
> OpenLDAP would have a bad performance.
> I personally just tried to point out, that there appear design limitati=
ons,
> as soon as someone tries to implement LDAP over SSL or TLS, and the
> TCPSlaveBase class can't deal with the network socket directely like th=
at
> works for all other network protocols used in KDE. Then it would be
> neccessary to implement all SSL related GUI interactions again which wo=
uld
> work automatically if TCPSlaveBase would be used like for all other
> protocols.
>
> Yes, LDAP over SSL seems to be beyond the Ägypten project, but I wond=
er
> what a reusable component is worth then, if it has a serious design
> limitation and it is already officially planned before the project is
> started, that it might be rewritten later.
>
> Also I wonder, are really all LDAP queries from KMail supposed to go
> through GpgME?
The LDAP functionality must be independent from the mail client used. It therefore can't use e.g. KIO slaves, because it wouldn't be really independent any longer (using some of the KDE libraries). Kalle -- Matthias Kalle Dalheimer President & CEO Klarälvdalens Datakonsult AB Platform-independent Software Solutions http://www.klaralvdalens-datakonsult.se