Porting GPA to GPGME

Miguel Coca e970095@zipi.fi.upm.es
Sun Aug 11 12:45:02 2002

On Sun, Aug 11, 2002 at 03:03:25 +0200, Marcus Brinkmann wrote:
> > This is giving me problems:
> >
> >         * The signatures page doesn't work at all. I can't figure out
> >         how to list the signatures on a key with gpgme.
>
> This is currently unsupported.

Thought so :-(

> >         * Exporting secret keys does not work, and I don't think it can be
> >         done with gpgme.
>
> It's arguably a bad thing to give out the secret key :)

To some degree I agree with that :-) But as it is now, GPA is very insistent
that you make a backup of your default keypair. Also, it makes sense to keep
a copy of your secret key in a safe place, just in case you suffer from,
say, catastrophic disk failure. Maybe it should be allowed, with suitably
prominent warnings on the dangers.

> Sometimes it might not even be possible, like if it is stored on a smart
> card or otherwise managed by gpg-agent.

Is there any way to detect those cases?

> >         * Deleting keys should work as soon as that is fixed in gpgme
> >         (according to the gnupg-devel archives, that's a known bug). Does
> >         anyone know when that will be solved?
>
> You need this change in GnuPG HEAD, will be in 1.2 I think:
>
> * delkey.c (do_delete_key): Always allow to delete a key in batch mode
> when specified by fingerprint.  Suggested by Enzo Michelangeli.

Right, I upgraded to 1.1.91 and it works. Thanks.

> > Mostly the code is keeping it's original structure. While gpgme has some
> > features that could be used to improve GPA, I think it's better to have
> > something that works first, and then improve on it.
>
> I also expect that we have to make some changes/improvements to GPGME.

On a related note, that may be worth documenting, I would like to know if
after a call to gpgme_data_new_from_file returns a GPGME_File_Error, I can
trust that I can still retrieve the original error ("file not found", etc),
from errno.

Also, importing keys does not work. I think that is not my fault, since a
"make check" on gpgme fails with:

        t-import.c:89: GpgmeError ec=-1
        FAIL: t-import

This is a cvs checkout from August 2nd, but I've been monitoring
gnupg-commits and I think there have been no further changes.

> Just drop us a note when you feel happy about the state of the repository
> for this type of testing.

I will do so as soon as possible.

Thanks,
--