Status of GPA and GPGME

Miguel Coca e970095@zipi.fi.upm.es
Tue Aug 27 00:04:01 2002

On Mon, Aug 26, 2002 at 13:19:03 -0400, David Shaw wrote:
> Currently, this is not complete (and won't be complete in 1.2), so the
> keyserver plugins system is used for all keyserver types except for HKP
> (the HTTP-like servers such as pgp.mit.edu).

I don't think I've used a keyserver that wasn't HKP, so I don't have first
hand experience. How much "not complete" is it (or is expected to be for
1.2)? Is it usable for LDAP keyservers, for example?

> Perhaps it would make sense for gpa or gpgme to call the keyserver
> helpers directly, rather than through GnuPG?

Yes, it makes sense. There is only one problem on my part. GPA should run on
both Unix and Windows. So, it would need an interface for calling the helper
and communicating with it for each platform. Gpgme already uses something
like that for calling gpg, so perhaps it would be better (less work and
duplication of code) to do it there.

Would that fit into the plans for Gpgme? If there is no time, I could take a
look at it after I get the rest of GPA a bit along, and my exams end (second
half of September, I'll have to slow my work until then).

> There might be issues with configuration options about keyserver access in
> the config file.

I think that would not be a problem. GPA has it's own idea of the default
keyserver, so it would make sense to ignore gpg's options.

Thanks,
--
Miguel Coca                                         e970095@zipi.fi.upm.es
PGP Key 0x27FC3CA8                         http://zipi.fi.upm.es/~e970095/