UI for the list of key signatures?

Markus Gerwinski markus@gerwinski.de
Mon Dec 2 15:13:02 2002

--n8g4imXOkfNTN/H1

Miguel Coca wrote:
> Which of these ways do people think is more appropiate?
>=20
>         1. A tree, with the user ID's as branches and the signatures as
>         leaves. This is how PGP does it, but it's slightly confusing to m=
ix
>         different things (user ID's and signatures) in the same listing.

I would favour this one... IMO, trees aren't that confusing. Maybe the node
should denote the number of signatures belonging to a user ID, if it's larg=
er
than one. Like this:

  =3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D
  + Berta Beispiel
  + Ethel Example
  + Ian Important (3)
  + Max Muster
  + Theo Test
  =3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D

=2E.. telling that Ian Important signed this one with three different keys.=
 At
the first glance, this one looks like a "normal" list, but advanced users c=
an
expand the nodes to get more information.

Alternatively, I would think about 3. in a sorted table manner:

>         3. Somehow list all the signatures together, avoiding duplicates.
>         That would be easy to read for new users, but more advanced users
>         would probably dislike the loss of information (this could be
>         combined, via the advanced-ui mode, with one of the above).

Give it columns "key ID", "user name" and "E-Mail", then just write'em to t=
he
list, alphabetically sorted by user name? It would look like this:

  Key ID   | User            | E-Mail
  ---------+-----------------+-----------------------
  45322612 | Berta Beispiel  | berta@beispiel.at
  12345678 | Ethel Example   | ethel@example.org
  49329019 | Ian Important   | ian@important.com
  43732046 | Ian Important   | ian@very-important.com
  37291075 | Ian Important   | ian@important.com
  90268456 | Max Muster      | max@muster.de
  98765432 | Theo Test       | theo@test.de

This would avoid the loss of information, but beginners wouldn't be forced =
work with a tree.

Yours,

  Markus

--n8g4imXOkfNTN/H1