Questions about Aegypten

Tilman Linneweh e0025974@student.tuwien.ac.at
Fri Jul 26 12:07:02 2002

Hello,

>> dirmngr:
>> - Why is it still using db1?
>
> Are there any security issues related to db1?
>
> IIRC, we use db1 due to some problems with GNU/Linux distributions
> (eg. Mandrake).
>
> If you can make a good proposal on which package to use
> instead ...

I don't have any special knowledge about Bugs in BerkleyDB.
I only asked because Sleepycat is currently referring on there
Website to download db4.
On FreeBSD there are packages for db2 db3 and db4.
I guess the situation on GNU/Linux distributions isn't different.
Most applications, that use Berkley DB today, are using a newer version
of db (e.g. GNOME gconf uses db3, KDEsdk uses db2, openldap uses db3).
So chances are high, that users have already installed a version of db2
or db3, and don't need to install another version.

regards
arved