GPA-0.5 ???

Jan-Oliver Wagner jan@intevation.de
Tue Mar 19 09:27:01 2002

On Mon, Mar 18, 2002 at 10:18:57PM +0100, Peter Gerwinski wrote:
> Jochen Küpper wrote:
> > Is 0.5 just the same as 0.4.3?
>
> Not really:
>
>     birdie/home/peter/src> diff -Nurp gpa-0.4.3 gpa-0.5.0 | wc
>       31654  113267  954484
>
> > Or are there any 'political' reasons
> > to keep development closed nowadays?
>
> The source code is under the GNU GPL and publicly available for
> free. That's not exactly what I'd call "closed development".

The software is free indeed, but Jochen is right here: no one
outside g-n-u was able to participate in the development of 0.5
and therefore I call it also closed development.

Closed development is not evil by default. Many free software
projects had a initial closed phase and did well with settling some
concepts first. However, letting people the
visible option to participate will better intergrate the software in
a user/developer community (even if noone actively participates in
the development).

Unfortunately, we now have a forked development, because a final
merge was not part of the work plan and, with bug-fixing on both
branches, gets more and more unlikely.
I am sad that Peters tight time schedule did not allow/consider this.

To prevent further confusion we might have to consider renaming
the forked development. This could also prevent wrongly addressed
complains.
I would rather prefer a merge.

	Jan

--