GPA-0.5 ???

Benedikt Wildenhain benedikt@benedikt-wildenhain.de
Fri Mar 22 23:01:01 2002

--d6Gm4EdcadzBjdND

Hello,

On Tue, Mar 19, 2002 at 03:30:27PM +0000, Bernhard Reiter wrote:
> On Mon, Mar 18, 2002 at 05:17:10PM -0500, Jochen K=FCpper wrote:
> > On Mon, 18 Mar 2002 22:18:57 +0100 Peter Gerwinski wrote:
>=20
> > Peter> There was a deadline to meet. Keeping the CVS in sync and
> > Peter> discussing everything on this list would have meant to miss it.
>=20
> I don't see why.
Because discussing about certain features can consume a lot of time: I
am currently subscribed to around five mailing lists with some traffic
(and some ones with only few posts per month) and I need around one hour
per day to read them and write answers to some of the mails on the
mailing lists and to private ones. And at the moment I am not really
involved in the development of really important programs and do not use
mails in business (I am still a pupil at a German "Gymnasium" as you
might still now from my first post on one fsfeurope - list); it had
probably costed Peter much more time to discuss every change of the GPA.

> > The question here is whether it was necessary to let get cvs out of
> > sync from the start. =20
>=20
> > One possible strength of OpenSource software is the peer-review
> > process that you effectively circumvented before coming up with the
> > 0.5.0 version of gpa that now is widely spread into userland, towards
> > people that are not supposed to be beta-testers.
>=20
> In order to protect these people we probably have to=20
> call the gpa-0.5.0 unofficial.=20
Why unofficial? It was written by one of the two original authors of
gpa.

> > It just looks very strange that nothing is going on with the sources
> > of a open project and all the sudden there is a new version. =20
>=20
> Peter did not tell us what he was doing.
As mentioned above, telling (and probably discussing) changes can take
(too) much time so it is not possible in every situation.

--=20
Benedikt Wildenhain
May the tux be with you.
:wq