pkcs#11 support

Werner Koch wk@gnupg.org
Mon Apr 21 20:55:03 2003

On 14 Apr 2003 20:46:11 +0200, Andreas Jellinghaus said:

> is there any support for pkcs11 in aegypten?

No.  It is possible to write a pkcs11 application utilizing gpg-agent
but I have no plans for it.

> page. A small look at newpg (0.9.4) scd/ code
> implies it is limited to use opensc directly,

We use OpenSC for its PKCS#15 capability.  I am thinking about using
the OpenSC card drivers directly for a simplified version of the
scdaemon.

> Also I wonder what the reason was to split
> smartcard support off into a daemon - it could
> be well used as library.

Complexity reasons.  Having DER en/decoding stuff and a bunch of
drivers linked to gpg-agent won't make me too happy.  Furthermore,
scdaemon might be used as a system wide daemon.

> to look at other software and how that
> might work with it.

If you have a PKCS15 application for S/MIME on it, scdaemon should be
able to make use of it.

> Also I wonder: where might I find documentation
> on the kmail crypto plugin interface? Is that

cryptoplug.h

--
  Nonviolence is the greatest force at the disposal of
  mankind. It is mightier than the mightiest weapon of