S/MIME

Ingo Klöcker kloecker@kde.org
Mon Aug 25 11:16:01 2003

--Boundary-02=_oPdS/aVX2km3DW1

On Saturday 23 August 2003 07:13, Harald Schmalzbauer wrote:
> Dear developers,
>
> thank you very much for your great work.
> While trying to get S/MIME working I had to read a lot about =C4gypten.
> Now this is the most rediculous way to make Kmail s/mime capable.
> Why should s/mime be implemented in gpg?

Because it makes sense to have just one tool which can be used for both,=20
PGP and S/MIME.

> My problem is that gpgsm seems to have many bugs (--import doesn't
> work (bus error) also GENKEY doesn't work (general server error))

Please direct any bug reports regarding the gpg stuff to the gpa-dev=20
mailing list (cf. CC).

> Why not use openssl like in konquerror and in sIMAP etc?

There's a kssl based S/MIME plugin available in kdenonbeta (IIRC). The=20
problem with openssl is that it's license is not GPL compatible. So=20
it's questionable whether this kssl based S/MIME plugin can be legally=20
used in KMail.

> pgp/mime is working fine, but the steps you have to pass are not
> beneficial to convince people using encryption. (On the other hand
> one can easily use PGP in traditional way so that's not that
> horrible)

I agree with that. But OTOH everything that's necessary is already=20
included for example in the SuSE distrubution. So apart from having to=20
install a few extra RPMs all that's a bit complicated is the=20
configuration. I agree that this has to be improved.

> Kmail is really what GUI users want to have except the missing
> encryption capabilities. In my opinion the =C4gypten project was good
> for some companies but that horrible managed that I can't see any
> results besides some gaming/learning effects for a few people and a
> good money burn rate.
>
> Sorry for that impolite expression of my opinion, but please
> coordinate any available develpment power into s/mime implementation.

Regards,
Ingo