pinentry-qt still not working here

Bernhard Reiter bernhard@intevation.de
Mon Feb 10 16:07:02 2003

--L6iaP+gRLNZHKoI4

Okay, here are the next steps.
You should be able to report in=20
	https://intevation.de/rt/webrt?serial_num=3D1489&display=3DHistory
otherwise report here.

	- try the released pinentry 0.6.8
	  and make extra sure that gpg-agent is calling the new version
	  (see ~/.gnupg/gpg-agent.conf)

If the problem persists:

	- Try a different locale, e.g.
		LANG=3DPOSIX bash=20

	- call pinentry-qt manually.=20
        Try a combination of the following commands,=20
	getting closer to what you are actually asked when it fails
	and see if this works.

OPTION grab
OPTION lc-ctype=3Dde_DE@euro
OPTION lc-messages=3Dde_DE@euro
SETDESC Bitte geben Sie Ihr Mantra ein ...
SETPROMPT Passphrase:
GETPIN

If you cannot make it crash manually like above=20
you can try to the excat commands using strace

	- [developer skill required]
	compile a new pinentry and try to find out the real commands
	using strace. Here an excerpt from my e-mail exchange with Werner:

  > Can you give me a hint on how to debug pinentry? =20
 =20
  Not easy:  Add the following lines to pinentry_init:
 =20
    while (access ("/tmp/run-pinentry", 0))  =20
        sleep (1);
 =20
  Then rm the file, start everything, use ps to find out the pid,
  attach gdb and touch the file.
 =20
  > pinentry-qt or pinentry-curses works on the command line=20
  > if I give it a GETPIN.
  > How do I find out what commands gpg-agent really was sending
 =20
  pinentry has no debugging code.  It is possible to attach strace and
  watch the read and writes:  strace -o tracefilename -p <pid>

	try pinentry-qt manually with the exact commands you find out

On Thu, Feb 06, 2003 at 06:56:56PM +0100, Michael Nottebrock wrote:
> On Thursday 06 February 2003 17:12, Bernhard Reiter wrote:
>=20
> > > Sorry, try what, exactly?
> >
> > Like
> > 	gpg -s x >x.sig
> > should ask for your passphrase.
>=20
> Oh, yes, the debug output in my original message was produced in a simila=
r way=20
> (trying to decrypt a file with gpg).

--L6iaP+gRLNZHKoI4

--L6iaP+gRLNZHKoI4--