GPGME_No_Matching_Secret_Key error code missing

Bernhard Reiter bernhard@intevation.de
Thu Feb 13 21:18:01 2003

--MZf7D3rAEoQgPanC

On Thu, Feb 13, 2003 at 04:02:44AM +0100, Marcus Brinkmann wrote:
> On Thu, Feb 13, 2003 at 12:02:15AM +0100, Ingo Kl=F6cker wrote:

> > 2.) Some error code which indicates that asking for the passphrase=20
> > failed/wasn't possible. Else the user will wonder why we tell him that=
=20
> > decryption failed because of no/wrong passphrase although he wasn't=20
> > asked to enter the passphrase.
>=20
> Until I have more information, I am happy with giving Invalid_Engine with
> all serious installation problems.  In case where more information is
> useful, we first need it to be reported in the gpgsm server protocol (see
> above).  Then we can think about mapping that in the GPGME interface.

On several occasions of the =C4gypten-Project=20
Werner and I had a tendency to be carefuly about what to display
about error conditions to the users when trying to verify an email.

Most users will need a sysadmin to explain to them what the more
detailed error messages effetively mean.
We basically had the three states (green, yellow, red)
and much more details should be debugging output
available for the interested user or admin to look at.

But of course I agree that we should continue to work=20
on the way how status condititions are best reported.
So I'm not saying that KMail should not report in greater detail
I just wanted to add some background thoughts=20
about what to present to the end user.

One problem certainly is that gpg over gpgme cannot bring up
a gpg-agent on its own when it does not have one.
This is were I think the current problem originated.
If I remember Werner correctly he was aware of the problem,
but some involved technical details made adding this feature=20
something he needed to delay.

--MZf7D3rAEoQgPanC

--MZf7D3rAEoQgPanC--