update the point 9 of your faq : openpgp and s/mime for kmail

Marcus Brinkmann Marcus.Brinkmann@ruhr-uni-bochum.de
Fri Feb 14 13:42:02 2003

On Fri, Feb 14, 2003 at 08:39:51AM +0100, Ralf Nolden wrote:

> On Freitag, 14. Februar 2003 00:35, Benoit Mortier wrote:
> > Hi,
> >
> > i have just finish to update your faq point 9 : openpgp and s/mime for
> > kmail.
> >
> > you will find here a diff with the REAME posted on ktown.kde.org
> >
> > next job will be to translate pinentry-qt in french
> I think that isn't really necessary as the gpg-agent or another program sends
> the strings.

It's not only not necessary, it must be avoided.  pinentry is a highly
critical application, and must be possible to audit, so there is a high
barrier for features, even if they are canonical like translation.

> Those can be translated with gettext, then we only need to find
> a way to make all of the pinentry's display them. For pinentry-qt I think
> only the qt_<lang>.qm file in qInstallPath()+"/translations" need to be
> loaded for the translation of the Ok and Cancel button. I'm not sure yet how
> to combine the Qt message files with the gettext messages yet. That's one
> problem that you have when mixing up a pure Qt program with gettext messages
> :(

There is a general issue with encoding of gettext messages.  However, even
the text for the Ok and Cancel buttons are (or should be) provided by
gpg-agent and other programs (in UTF8).  It's ok to use the native buttons as a
fallback, but there is no need for localization.  The button text for Ok and
Cancel button should be provided by the user of pinentry, just as any other
displayed text.

Thanks,
Marcus

Marcus.Brinkmann@ruhr-uni-bochum.de