Invalid passphrase

Ingo Klöcker kloecker@kde.org
Sun Jul 20 12:38:02 2003

--Boundary-02=_0EnG/GJVPmv/tHW

On Saturday 19 July 2003 17:56, John Aldrich wrote:
> On Saturday 19 July 2003 08:03 am, Ingo Kl=F6cker wrote:
> > Did you properly configure the plugins? About the passphrase
> > problem: Please use pinentry-gtk if pinentry-qt doesn't work for
> > you (which seems to be the case). Please run to following command
> > in a terminal where you started gpg-agent resp. where the
> > GPG_AGENT_INFO environment variable is known:
> >   echo Test | gpg --clearsign
> > Does this work?
>
> No. Obviously it's trying to use an old key that I no longer have the
> passphrase for.... and I don't know enough about GPG/PGP to tell it
> to no longer use that key... I have several other keys.

Then you have to specify which key should be used by adding the=20
default-key to you gpg.conf. But as I can see in another message you=20
already did this. In KMail you can specify per identity which key=20
should be used (just as in the previous version of KMail).

Additionally please change
  pinentry-program /usr/local/bin/pinentry-qt
  pinentry-program /usr/local/bin/pinentry-gtk
in your gpg-agent.conf.

Then restart gpg-agent and try again if
  echo Test | gpg --clearsign
works.

> > BTW, you are obviously using KMail 1.5. Please update to KMail
> > 1.5.2 (KDE 3.1.2).
>
> Hmm... are there RPMs available for 1.5.2? I haven't seen them
> anywhere...

You will have to install all of KDE 3.1.2.

> > > What the heck is the problem here, people? I manually compiled
> > > everything from the tarballs using the command-line options
> > > specified on the KMail site and have got the Daemon running, so
> > > why does it 1) refuse to recognize my passphrase
> >
> > Did you actually get a chance to enter your passphrase? This is not
> > clear to me. If your passphrase contains non-ASCII characters then
> > this might be a reason.
>
> Nope. Never got asked unless I specified the internal GPG handling in
> which case I got "invalid passphrase" errors.

This bug with the internal GPG handling has been fixed in KMail 1.5.2.

> > > and 2) always assume I want to sign
> > > and/or encrypt my emails when I have it set to NOT sign/encrypt
> > > by default?
> >
> > Again, please check the configuration of the _plugin_. Most of the
> > settings on the OpenPGP page only affect the built-in OpenPGP
> > support.
>
> Hmm....Ok. And what configurations would those be? Please keep in
> mind that I've not been following this topic since you guys decided
> to move GPG support out of KMail itself and into a plugin.

We didn't move GPG support out of KMail. It's just the improved OpenPGP=20
support (which allows to also sign/encrypt attachments) that is=20
currently only available via the OpenPGP plugin.

Regards,
Ingo

--Boundary-02=_0EnG/GJVPmv/tHW

--Boundary-02=_0EnG/GJVPmv/tHW--