New gpgme 0.3 release

Marcus Brinkmann Marcus.Brinkmann at ruhr-uni-bochum.de
Mon Nov 24 19:43:03 CET 2003

On Sat, Nov 22, 2003 at 11:12:17PM +0000, Pawel Salek wrote:
> files contained in gpgme and libgpg-error do not work out of the box on
> RH9.0 - and Fedora as well (I think the problems are rpm-4 related;
> fixing is not difficult but timeconsuming).

We are not RPM users, but we include the spec for convenience.  If you can
contribute a better spec file, then that's greatly appreciated.  We do take
patches :)

> 1. building process should be simplified. If people have problems
> builing the library, they won't bother porting their programs to it.
> Care should be taken to allow for static linking - very important in
> case of "semi-stable" libraries with changing api. I could provide spec
> files for building gpgme and libgpg-error on RH9.0 if there is any
> interest.

I fixed the threading issue now, and the build process is really very
vanilla.  You have library dependencies, but that is true for almost every
program.  We use the standard build tools, and you don't even need to have
gpg or gpgsm installed to build gpgme (but if you do you get to run some
tests).  We provide all the necessary framework to use it in your
application (*-config scripts, libtool .la files, etc).  If you have
specific improvements, like the spec file stuff, please provide patches or
make specific suggestions.

> 2. if the library initialization fails for some reason so that it
> cannot provide its functionality, it should not abort the whole
> program.

It doesn't of course, that's up to the program.  The program can autodetect
(with gpgme's help) which crypto engines are available and thus provide the
functionality that is available to the user or whatever it wants.

Thanks,
Marcus

--
`Rhubarb is no Egyptian god.' GNU      http://www.gnu.org    marcus at gnu.org