pinentry: minor annoyances with --help

Werner Koch wk at gnupg.org
Wed Aug 4 19:11:49 CEST 2004

On Thu, 22 Jul 2004 20:28:39 +0200, Peter Eisentraut said:

> This is concerning pinentry 0.7.1.  For some reason, the output of
> pinentry-foo --help goes to stderr, not stdout.  This is inconsistent

Thanks for reporting.  I just fixed it in the CVS.

> $ pinentry-qt --version/--help
> Xlib:  extension "GLX" missing on display ":0.0".
> Xlib:  extension "GLX" missing on display ":0.0".
> [real information follows...]

That is the usual way of doing thing.  Some options are to be passed
to the GUI and the usual way to handle this is by letting the GUI init
fucntion remove the args from the array and then continue with the
application's option parsing.  The advantage is that the GUI lib may
add new GUI options to all applications without the need to change the
applications proper.

Adding an extra hook to parse "--help" is theoretically possible but
not good style.  Anyway the Xlibn error stuff should go to stderr and
--help and ---version go to stdout.

Thanks,

  Werner