[issue89] Type=0 entries in gpgconf: mismatch between docu and behavior

David Faure aegypten-issues at intevation.de
Fri Feb 20 14:00:11 CET 2004

New submission from David Faure <faure at kde.org>:

gnupg/tools/README.gpgconf says that entries with Type=0 "don't take any
argument at all", which in fact means they are booleans (set, or not set).
(I would suggest calling this boolean instead of "no argument allowed" in the
TYPEs description)

The first bug is that the docu says such entries are either empty or "an
unsigned number specifying how often the option occurs" (??),
but when doing the following commands, it appears as "Y".
gpgconf --change-options dirmngr
no-greeting:1
gpgconf --list-options dirmngr
 -> shows no-greeting:0:3::0:0:::Y
Y looks good, so I suggest to fix the docu to say it's simply: either empty or
"Y". Why would such an option display a number, since there are int/uint types
for that?

The second possible bug is that the verbose option of dirmngr has the flag 4
and the type 0, meaning that would be a list of booleans? Why is it a list?

What's the meaning of FLAG 2? How can an argument be optional? "boolean or
value"? This doesn't seem to be used yet, so it's a bit obscure to me.

What's the meaning of ARGNAME? The unique name for the option is the first
field already, and the localized description is there too... Furthermore,
argname seems to be set to "N" for many dirmngr options, which doesn't make
much sense.

Question: is there another tool than dirmngr which supports gpgconf? The 3
other components listed by gpgconf don't seem to provide anything at the
moment. Just looking for more stuff to test my C++ parser and class API (e.g. I
lack groups, there aren't any groups at the moment, and I could use more
lists :) ).

Thanks.

assignedto: werner
messages: 367
nosy: david, werner
priority: bug
status: unread
title: Type=0 entries in gpgconf: mismatch between docu and behavior
topic: DirMngr, gpg