Fwd: KMail/GnuPG always report problems with signed S/MIME

Marcus Brinkmann marcus.brinkmann at ruhr-uni-bochum.de
Thu Jul 22 01:56:32 CEST 2004

At Wed, 21 Jul 2004 16:18:35 +0200,
Bernhard Reiter wrote:
> The modern KMail versions do not use crypto plugins anymore to be precise.
> They access gpgme (generation 0.4.x) directly for the integrated
> crypto support for PGP/MIME and S/MIME. This integration is non-trivial
> and a general api to just put in another cryptobackend is not feasable.
> As Kmail is Free Software you can integrate another loadable module, though.
> So KMail does not exclude other crypto backend integration by any means.

I am not sure if implementing a new engine for GPGME is more difficult
than writing a new module for KMail.  It's probably about the same
type of complexity, although there are differences in the details, and
some aspects of GPGME's interfaces are closely tied to the
--with-colon and --status-fd/--command-fd interfaces of GnuPG/GpgSM.
This might put some people off, because they would be required to glue
in at a string level rather than solely at a C API level.  Of course,
one could also try to fix it in GPGME if it is considered too bad.

Oh, and GPGME doesn't support loadable modules at this point.

Thanks,
Marcus