[issue214] gpgme: add gpgme_key_t->fpr

Marc Mutz aegypten-issues at intevation.de
Sat Jun 5 14:41:52 CEST 2004

New submission from Marc Mutz <marc at klaralvdalens-datakonsult.se>:

Whenever I need to identify a key I'm told to use "the fingerprint". E.g. when
saving the preferred signing key for an identity to a config file, or when
trying to determine whether or not a given key represents a root certificate.
Whenever I do key->subkeys->fpr, therefore, I do wonder why it isn't
key->subkeys->next->fpr that I should use. What happens if the first subkey is
deleted from a key, or revoked? This looks even more curious in gpgme++:
  const char * fpr = key.subkey(0).fingerprint(); // why _0_?
I therefore added Key::primaryFingerprint() to gpgme++, to hide this particular
question-raising-whenever-reading-the-code. Maybe much of the need for this
could go away when some functions in gpgme took gpgme_key_t's instead of const
char *, see  e.g. #213, and esp. a gpgme_op_keylist_* variant.

assignedto: marcus
messages: 1055
nosy: marc, marcus
priority: wish