KMail and OpenPGP

Neil Williams linux at codehelp.co.uk
Wed May 12 20:36:02 CEST 2004

On Tuesday 11 May 2004 11:29, Timm Haug wrote:
> Hello,

Please send your public key to a public keyserver - I can't verify your
signature at all if you don't make your public key public.

subkeys.pgp.net is probably best.

> I just wanted to ask if there is an easy way to enable KMail 1.6.2 to read
> PGP/MIME coded messages?

Yes. I'm using it!

The biggest problem is getting the gpg-agent to function properly. Once that
is working, any other problems are trivial. What's your status (compiled or
packages)? Which distribution? What have you done so far? What error did you
get? Where are you stuck, precisely?

Need info!

> The manual at http://kmail.kde.org/kmail-pgpmime-howto.html is not
> up-to-date, at least it doesn't work on my computer.

You need gnupg1.9 instead of newpg but as you don't say which distribution you
are using, I can't give you much more than that. The howto is usable and if
you compile from source it is easier to get it working than by using
packages. Check the GnuPG pages, under Project Aegypten, that's usually more
up to date.
http://www.gnupg.org/aegypten/development.en.html

> Will the ability to read PGP/MIME encoded messages be implemented in later
> versions of GnuPG?

It's not GnuPG at fault but yes, IIRC, GnuPG and KMail will work together
better with regard to PGP/MIME in future releases.

--

Neil Williams