Incompatible passphrase encoding in gpg/gpg-agent?

Bernhard Reiter bernhard at intevation.de
Fri Apr 1 12:35:44 CEST 2005

On Wed, Mar 30, 2005 at 05:35:27PM +0200, Michael Nottebrock wrote:
> I have recently received a bugreport about pinentry-qt not handling the "§"
> character correctly. After some testing it turns out that gpg, if used
> without gpg-agent seems to encode passphrases differently than the agents do.

That probably is a locale and encoding issue.
Of course the pinentries should use the current locale and if they
run on X11 they are influenced by those settings, too.

In order to debug this, you could try with several locales
and also try to see if xev and on the terminal,
the same key symbols will be created.