Upgrade gpa from GTK+ 2.2 to 2.4?

Marcus Brinkmann marcus.brinkmann at ruhr-uni-bochum.de
Wed Nov 22 16:17:13 CET 2006

At Tue, 21 Nov 2006 23:40:01 +0100,
Jan-Oliver Wagner wrote:

> Hi gpa developers,
>
> I wonder whether there is any reason not to upgrade the minimum version
> of GTK+ 2.2 to 2.4. With 2.4 various new interesting methods have been
> introduced.

I have no objection; however, such a bumb should be done when the new
methods are actually used (ie, ideally, the minimum required version
should reflect the minimum actually required version).

> Getting rid of any deprecated methods is also interesting, I guess.
> Or is even GTK+ 2.6 something we can assume to be everywhere where
> gpa aims for?

Again, the minimum required version should be motivated by actual
changes in the code base.

Currently, we build gpg4win against glib 2.9 and gtk 2.6.  As such I
have no objection to go up to there, assuming the windows port of that
version is complete with respect to the features you want to use.

Beyond that (say, 2.8), more testing would be required if the new
version compiles and runs correctly on Windows.

Gtk 2.8 was released over a year ago, so we can go even up to that.
It seems to be the current stable version in use in distributions
(Ubuntu Drapper for example).  The limiting factor is the Windows
port.

Thanks,
Marcus