[patch] Don't add PTH include path to gpgme's CFLAGS globally

Werner Koch wk at gnupg.org
Mon Feb 12 15:21:18 CET 2007

On Sat, 10 Feb 2007 01:11, lofi at freebsd.org said:

> pth-support is enabled, since the pth include directory is globally added to
> CFLAGS and ath-pthread.c picks up the pth-supplied pthread.h header instead

It is a relly strange decision by Debian (and obviously then also of
FreeBSD) to install a pthread.h while at the same time having native
pthread support.  The pthread.h from Pth may simply not be installed
if the system already provides pthread support.

If an application really needs the pthread.h emulation it should take
its own precautions not to introduce a conflict.  Frankly, I doubt
that there is a valid reason to use the phread emulation of Pth if
pthread native support is available.  Applications which are designed
to work with Pth should include pth.h and never ever pthread.h.

There is also the strange change in Pth to make soft mapping of system
calls the default.  This requires many applications to explicitly
disable the soft mapping.  In fact, I consider this an API change.
The default Pth m4 tests are not able to grok such a change.  That is
why some libs have the "foo-config --api-version" feature to allow
checking for an such API changes.

Salam-Shalom,

   Werner