kleopatra: An error occurred while fetching the certificates from the backend

Andreas Petzold Andreas.Petzold at mailbox.tu-dresden.de
Fri Jan 16 17:49:56 CET 2009

Hi Bernhard,

thanks for bearing with me on that problem.

>> so I guess the log I've posted should contain all relevant log
>> messages from dirmngr. Should I change these settings?
>
> No. You could try debug-level guru or a newer dirmngr.

Newer dirmngr (currently 1.0.0) is not an immediate option, but I've
set the debug level for dirmngr to guru. However, w/o any visible
effect whatsoever :-(

http://tinyurl.com/7a2bcu

>> I played around a bit and found out that if I disable
>>
>> Kleopatra->Settings->Configure GpgME Backend->GPG for S/MIME-> Fetch
>> missing issuer certs
>>
>> then the error is gone.
>
> Could you post a message where this problem appears to the public?
> At least I could check if I have the same problems with the particular
> certificate.

Well, the problem I've described above, is not connected to any
message. It's  inside kleopatra. kleopatra is throwing the error
when listing all the certs. I would have expected to find the culprit
cert in the logfile, but alas...

I'll see if it helps to delete all the certs one-by-one. Maybe, I can
track down the culprit cert.

>> > Do you encounter other problems?
>>
>> After disabling the option above, I can't verify any signatures in
>> kmail. Actually, it also doesn't work if I enable the fetch option.
>> However, I can validate all the certificates inside kleopatra if the
>> fetch option is disabled.
>>
>> A log of the failed signature validation can be found here:
>>
>> http://tinyurl.com/8bo4ru
>>
>> To my quite untrained eye, there is no indication of a failure in this
>> log. I'm at loss :-( Hope we can track this down sooner rather than
>> later.
>
> What is the result: Not enough information to verify signature? Yellow color?

kmail shows the yellow bars and:

Not enough information to check signature.

> Is there an audit log button? If yes, what does pressing it say?
> What is the debugging level of gpgsm.conf? Maybe try "expert" or
> "guru" there.

The guru log is here

http://tinyurl.com/82kz3l

> You should also check the .xsession output of kmail.

I can't find anything related to kmail .xsession-errors.

Cheers,

Andreas