Info about libgcrypt

Werner Koch wk@gnupg.org
Tue, 18 Dec 2001 09:05:48 +0100

On Mon, 17 Dec 2001 18:24:21 -0500, Dave Trombley said:

>     I found this list from the home page at www.gnupg.org.  There
> unfortunately was little info there on what the gcrypt library is/will
> be, but if I assume correctly it will provide a programmatic interface
> to the cryptographic methods that GPG currently uses?  (ie. GPG 1.1

Right.  You get all the cryptographic building blocks and a few
utility functions:  ciphers, public key, hashs, random.  It is usable
and has a stable API.

It is at least used by GNUTLS and the gpgsm (GnuPG for S/MIME); you
can download it from ftp.gnupg.org:/gcrypt/alpha/libgcrypt.

A new version (1.1.5) will be released in a few days.  There is a
incomplete reference file /doc/reference.{dvi,html} in the package but
for more documentation you might want to look at the module newpg of
the aegypten project:  www.gnupg.org/aegypten/