RC2 in libgcrypt

Werner Koch wk@gnupg.org
Tue, 24 Jun 2003 08:43:25 +0200

On Sun, 22 Jun 2003 19:00:10 +0300, Nikos Mavroyanopoulos said:

> Is there any chance into including RC2 in libgcrypt? Without
> it, it is not possible to create a real pkcs-12 packet parser.

As I already told here, PC2 is patented and anyway obsolete.  We won't
include it.  Furthermore importing a 40 bit RC2 encoded certificate
is really silly as this can be broken trivially and it must be assumed
that such a certificate has already ben compromised.

> An RC2 implementation under the public domain can be found at:
> ftp://ftp.funet.fi/pub/crypt/cryptography/symmetric/rc2/rrc2.tar.gz

There is nothing like public domain in most European countries and
such the legel status of such an implementation might get us in trouble
later on.

--
Werner Koch                                      <wk@gnupg.org>
The GnuPG Experts                                http://g10code.com