License? GPL vs LGPL.

Daniel Carrera dcarrera at math.umd.edu
Sun Nov 9 11:10:00 CET 2003

Hello,

I am an OpenOffice.org volunteer.  Recently I have been thinking about the
digital rights management features that Microsoft has included in the new
MS Office 2003.  It's very worrysome.  Here is one relevant article:

http://www.linuxinsider.com/perl/story/32065.html

It seems that these features will cause a much greater degree of vendor
lock-in and Free/Libre OSS lock-out than before.

I occurred to me that we could mitigate this problem somewhat if
OpenOffice could address some of the problems that DRM is supposed to
solve, but without trapping people.

Some of the features that DRM is meant to bring is authentication, and the
ability to select exactly who can read the document.  These are things
that GPG can do far more securely than anything MS is likely to cookup.

Now, here is the problem:  OOo is LGPL/SISSL.  I understand that this
makes it incompatible with a GPL library.  If it were up to me, I'd
make OOo GPL.  But it's not up to me.

Can anyone confirm that a LGPL application cannot use a GPL library?
If so, how would people feel about releasing either the GNU crypto library
or GPGME under the LGPL?
Can anyone see a way out of this dilema?

Important note:  I am not a developer.  I am actually in the QA team and
I'm running a project to write a Starter's guide.  Though I'm quite active
in the community, I wouldn't be the one coding anything.  I am merely
exploring alternatives for a perceived problem.

Thank you for your time.

Cheers,
--
Daniel Carrera |   Aleph-0 bottles of beer on the wall, Aleph-0 bottles
PhD student.   |   of beer.  Take one down, pass it around, Aleph-0