License? GPL vs LGPL.

Werner Koch wk at gnupg.org
Mon Nov 10 15:36:17 CET 2003

On Mon, 10 Nov 2003 01:42:56 +0100, Marcus Brinkmann said:

> There seems to be a W3C XML encryption working group.  There is also an XML
> Signature working group.  If that's the goal, then we are talking about a
> new format here, but the underlying encryption technology will probably be
> something like X.509 (which gpg 2.0 will support - it's already available in

IIRC, they are indeed developing an entirely new protocol. Given that
OpenPGP still has minor flaws after 5 years of being issued as a
proposed standard and even 12 years of general experience with PGP, I
severely doubt that this XML effort will lead to anything.  X.509/CMS
has even a longer history and is only by now actually usable.

Werner Koch                                      <wk at gnupg.org>
The GnuPG Experts                                http://g10code.com
Free Software Foundation Europe	                 http://fsfeurope.org